Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Media Induction: Thrilling Film Trailer

For my first lesson in Media AS, I had to work with a partner to produce a storyboard for a film trailer. The aim was merely to ease us into the course and get a taster of some of the type of work we would have to do. The film trailer's narrative had to revolve around three main things; a truck, a mountain and a family having a picnic.

Firstly, myself and my partner decided what the storyline of our trailer would be. We decided that the plot would be a drunk driver who is driving a truck on a mountain road when he gets one of his beer bottles stuck underneath his break pedal. As he goes to retrieve the bottle, he is unaware of the direction he is driving and heads straight for a family having a lovely picnic on the picturesque mountain.

We then drew out our story in frames on post-it notes, this was so we could swap and change the order they were in more easily. After deciding what the final order would be, we took pictures of each frame on a digital camera, uploaded them and imported them into Final Cut Express.

Being able to work individually on our own trailers, we chose how long each frame should last and what audio we would like to add to the visual imagery. I chose music that builds tension to mirror what the audience can see.

From this task I have learned that perspective is very important in media. Even when you are making the foundations of a piece of media work, like the storyboards we had to make, perspective played a key role. Without perspective it would be difficult for viewers to see what sort of emotion or message you are trying to convey. I think that based on what was expected from this task I have created something which is of a good standard, to improve it I could have added film titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment